Friday, May 11, 2007

Greenpoint #41, 5/10/07

Ok, moving on. I haven't made much of a dent in those Uncle Remus stories yet, primarily because the book I took out contains the complete stories, and is about 800 pages long, which is fairly daunting. What I have read so far is very good, but I doubt I'll make it through the whole book. In any case, I decided to take a break and...read some comics. My favorite freeform radio blog WFMU's Beware of the Blog, reminded me that Kim Deitch (also wrote Shadowland and The Boulevard of Broken Dreams))has a new book out, and the Greenpoint Branch had it. Even though yesterday was probably the most humid day we've had all year, I decided biking 13 miles (round trip...ok, yeah, its not that much) was a good idea. Well it was! Despite having a shirt so sweat-soaked that it didn't dry for hours, it was a day of firsts: first ladybug I've seen this year (flew into my face...luckily I was motionless at the time), first time I got splashed by water and was glad, because it cooled me down, even the first time I drank water from the sink in a library bathroom because there was no other water to be had and I perspired so much that I needed it to live. Onward!

Branch: Greenpoint
Location: 107 Norman Ave. at Leonard St.
Transport: bicycle
Book: Alias the Cat by Kim Deitch; The Grave Robber's Daughter by Richard Sala
Date: Thursday, May 10, 2007

So, I got to the library, and not only was there an awesome group of little kids holding the door for me with (I assume) their grandfather, who had such a sweet long beard that he looked like a wizard, but there was this other creepy looking comic that I kinda wanted to read but wasn't sure enough about to buy. That, of course, was after I got inside. Wait, let me start over.

The Grave Robber's Daughter is really cool. I read it already, and it wasn't at all what I expected; way creepier, but also way funnier. I recommend it. As for Alias the Cat, we'll see if it lives up to/surpasses Deitch's other work. I'm not too worried about it.

I didn't spend much time in the library, because I was hallucinating from lack of water and the walls were all bendy. No, that's not really true. Well, the first part is. It seemed nice enough...it took me forever to find the new books but I'm fairly sure that was my own fault. It was pretty dark in there, that's what really sticks out, but that could also have been my imminent unconsciousness/death. Ok, not really, I was fine. I don't know why I keep playing up the dehydration thing, it wasn't really all that bad. But seriously, what's with the consistent lack of water fountains? I guess I just feel like the people are...entitled to them. (Wink.)

I guess that's all I got. Oh wait, one last thing. If anyone is looking to improve his or her hitting, I noticed a book that should be most helpful: Don Mattingly's Hitting Is Simple, on bookshelves now. Perhaps on your bookshelf? Perhaps. Pictures...



left



right



down

5 comments:

DP said...

Man, I remember when for some reason I was entitled to have Ladybug infestations at the old house every summer, by fall the attic would be littered with ladybugs on their backs.

kara said...

I love that you experienced good door manners from children.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Don Mattingly's book changed my life.

Anonymous said...

howcome you haven't gone to any libraries?! i hadn't read your blog in about a month and i was all excited for new ones, and then there was only one.

Anonymous said...

Brooklyn Public Library has been hiring all summer, maybe it's not too late to get your resume in!