Monday, May 7, 2007

Clinton Hill #83, 5/7/07

This is going to be a short entry because I'm watching the Spike Lee documentary When The Levees Broke and it's very emotionally draining. Today was a gorgeous day, a little cool but good bike riding weather. I had finished The Children of Húrin from my last visit, and it was excellent (not extremely different from the Túrin Turambar version of the story in The Silmarillion, but definitely worth the time) so I hopped on my bike to head over to the Clinton Hill Branch.

Branch: Clinton Hill
Location: 380 Washington Ave. at Lafayette Ave.
Transport: bicycle
Book: The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus by Joel Chandler Harris
Date: Monday, May 7, 2007

Yesterday Liz found a random book on the street about all of the classic Disney movies, and it included Song of the South, which I hadn't thought of for quite a while. It still isn't out on DVD, likely due to the racist overtones, but it is based on old folktales from the south that I had never read so I decided to check them out. The book is so large that I'm not sure I'll be able to read all of it (especially with the new Murakami novel coming out tomorrow) but I'm looking forward to reading what I can.

The library - and the neighborhood - are gorgeous. I had some errands to run so I couldn't spend much time there, but just the trees out front and the houses along Washington Street made the neighborhood very pleasant. The barely noticeable woman in the first picture saw me taking it and asked "You're just taking a picture of your bike, right?" She sounded angry enough that I was worried I was breaking some sort of library code and nodded profusely. Don't worry, your privacy won't suffer, your face isn't in the picture. Sorry about lying to you though.



wide



bike



entrance



next door.

This is a blog about libraries so I hate to talk about anything else in my life or in the world since it seems contrary to the purpose. That said, this movie about Hurricane Katrina is completely devastating, and not just because of what the storm did, or what the people in charge failed to do, but because we as a country have allowed those people to remain in charge. It's sickening and it makes me ashamed of myself and of my country.

I wandered around on some abandoned train tracks last Friday. Check it out here if you want.

"If you tolerate this, then your children will be next." - Manic Street Preachers

No comments: