Monday, June 11, 2007

Windsor Terrace #77, 6/7/07

Ok, it's been a month. Geez. Sorry about that. I can't imagine that anyone still checks this, but what the hey. No need for long explanations, suffice it to say I've started my first course at library school and it's a lotta work. But enough about me. I returned the other books some time ago; you may not remember what they were, I hardly do, but I will say that Alias the Cat may be my favorite of all of Kim Deitch's books that I've read. It's certainly the best at blurring fantasy (living demon cartoon cat) and reality (Deitch is a main character, has a nervous breakdown, ok I guess this stuff didn't actually happen, but it was cool.)

Last Thursday I was supposed to be doing work for my class, but I felt a strange emptiness inside. Whether it was just too nice out to be doing work, or it had just been far too long since I'd been to a new library, I decided it was the time. Instead of my usual ways, I didn't look up any books, I just hopped on my bike and headed to the closest branch I hadn't been to: the Windsor Terrace Branch.

Branch: Windsor Terrace
Location: 160 E. 5th St. at Ft. Hamilton Pkwy.
Transport: bicycle
Book: Adverbs by Daniel Handler
Date: Thursday, June 7, 2007

It really was a gorgeous day, temperatures right around 70, but there was one black mark on the whole experience: my bike chain was so rusted that I could barely pedal the stupid thing. Not to worry, everyone, I have since used plenty of WD-40 on it (which I am informed will dry out, and that I need bike grease. What I really need is a new bike.)

Moving on, I almost got another Maakies book out, along with some other book that I have since forgotten, but ended up going for Adverbs. The cover says it's a novel, but it's really a series of overlapping stories with recurring characters. Some of it is in San Francisco, some in New York, some in Washington state. The author, Daniel Hnadler, is also Lemony Snicket who wrote the Series of Unfortunate Events series. I haven't read those, but I've heard great things, and I may actually have to try them now after reading this book. Sad, funny, packed with action, sex, and alcohol, but basically just a very well written book about how great and depressing love is, with some very interesting and believable characters who are all basically crazy. Worth reading for sure.

I got to the library at about 10:30 am, and the vast majority of people there were mothers or nannies with their bestrollered children. I don't want to say it was annoying, but I didn't spend any extra time there. The library was very spacious and well laid out, and the outside light lit the place nicely. The selection of books was excellent, and...I'm sorry, I can't remember anything else, the screaming babies drove it all out. Maybe go in the afternoon or something. Oh yeah, nice trees all around too. Windsor Terrace is a really beautiful neighborhood. Which I will now show you!



panoramic...



angleriffic...



closeropic...



and, a nice sentiment at the school across the street.

So I'm back, really, I'm gonna do this often again. So if you haven't given up yet, now is not the time to not start stopping reading this site. Seeya soon.

2 comments:

Gabriel Stuart said...

I have reason to believe you've been in a library prowling the stacks and studying. Or perhaps you'll finally tell me that Julio Cortazar's "Hopscotch" really sucked, that you hate that I gave it to you and that I should be pushed off a bridge. A high one at that! I'm glad you've written a new entry because I didn't know about this blog until a month ago. And I was in a taxi when I found out! They don't even have internet in taxis. You have to talk to find things out. I think the thunderbolt I just heard is my prompt to publish this comment. Sorry, Mikey.

DP said...

Transport: Reading Rainbow