Thursday, September 20, 2007

Sunset Park #55, 9/19/07

Hey everyone. So the Yankees are totally back in the AL East race! That's pretty exciting for everyone who is a good American. And also me. Bah, now Dave is watching Beauty and the Geek. It's so distracting. Oh right, libraries. Yesterday I noticed that I book I'd wanted to read for a while was available at a branch I hadn't been to yet. Better yet, it was close by. So I biked over to the Sunset Park Branch.

Branch: Sunset Park
Location: 5108 4th Ave. at 51st St.
Transport: bicycle
Books: Amulet by Roberto Bolaño; The Black Diamond Detective Agency by Eddie Campbell
Date: Wednesday, September 19, 2007

So, Amulet. You may remember Roberto Bolaño from a prior entry, where I discussed his book By Night In Chile. I really loved it, and this one was excellent as well. It seemed semi-autobiographical, but told from the point of view of a less prominent character in his life. This made a lot more sense when discovered that Amulet is actually the full story of a minor character from another Bolaño novel, The Savage Detectives, which I will definitely read as soon as it's back in the one library in Brooklyn that has it and that I haven't already been to.

As for the other book, it's a comic, and it's written and illustrated by the artist of From Hell, the amazing graphic novel about Jack the Ripper (read the comic, don't watch the movie). I haven't read it yet, but the art looks typically excellent.

The library is in Sunset Park, which is the neighborhood so named for its proximity to the actual park, Sunset Park. Long story short it's south of here. Apparently it used to be a Carnegie branch until it was knocked down and "modernized." It's definitely no-frills, but they layout is very streamlined and easy to use, and I found something I wasn't looking for, so that always says something about the selection (that is, it's well geared to me). Hopefully I'll be out at another library soon, sorry for the semi-truncated post, but this "Beauty and the Geek" nonsense is fairly hypnotic. Picture time!



Here I am in the street!



Still! But looking at more trees this time!



I don't know WHAT I was thinking here.



Oh, yeah, haha, there's a funny story about this one. I was about to go into the library, but then, I took out my camera, well no, it was actually out already from taking the other pictures, and then I looked at the door, and pointed my camera, and I took a picture of it.

That's it for now, see you soon.

5 comments:

DP said...

You got a mouth on ya...don't make me take a strap to ya.

Anonymous said...

Peek a boo, I see you!

Anonymous said...

Just realized that seemed a little creepy, I meant your reflection in the picture.

Natalie said...

I know the LARP guy on Beauty and the Geek. Reason enough to watch right there.

Anonymous said...

that is my library.

--tara dactyl