Friday, April 13, 2007

New Lots #52, 4/12/07

Well, I finally did it. I finished Cobra II. There were times when the fight got too tough, and I was ready to give up. But I forged on, mind focused on my original plan, refusing to adjust no matter what. Maybe 600 pages is too much, my misgivings informed me. I have other things to do. I just want to get back to another library. I thought I'd be greeted as a liberator. Of the book. Or something. What I'm getting at is, the book was excellent, not just as a chronicle of military operations in Iraq, but as an indictment of the Bush administration (the authors' main targets seem to be Rumsfeld and General Franks) for their failure to recognize when they were faced with situations different from those they had planned for, and to adjust to those new situations. It works even better than other anti-Bush books because it is actually not an anti-Bush book; it is very even-handed, trying to represent the full picture of events throughout. I highly recommend the book to anyone who can spare a few days of their life to read all about Iraq, which at this point may be few of you.

Well, after reading that book for so long I felt weird when it was no longer with me, I decided it was time to get back on the library horse. And it was pouring like crazy yesterday, so after getting completely soaked whilst mailing my taxes (woo!) I hopped on the train and was on my way. Where to? Well, I figured I deserved something short after that monster I just read, and I liked the one Don DeLillo book I read in the distant past (White Noise), so I figured I'd try out another of his for size. In this case small size. What the hell am I talking about. Come with me, whoever you are, to the magical realm of the New Lots Branch.

Branch: New Lots
Location: 665 New Lots Ave. at Barbey St.
Transport: R train to Atlantic Ave., 4 train to Utica Av., 3 train to Van Siclen Av.
Books: Cosmopolis by Don DeLillo; A Contract With God by Will Eisner
Date: Thursday, April 12, 2007

I know the transport bit looks a bit convoluted. What happened was, I got an express train (4) from Atlantic in the hopes of passing a local (3) train on the way to Utica Av., which is the last stop on the 4. Not only did this not happen, but three more 4 trains arrived at Utica Av. before a 3 train came. Since the 3 train goes to a lot more stops than the 4, this is VERY STUPID. MTA, are you LISTENING TO ME!!!! I'M A JUDGE FOR CHRIST'S SAKE! HOW DO YOU THINK THIS REFLECTS ON ME? Ok, moving on.

A Contract With God is a Will Eisner graphic novel, his first in fact (and if you don't know who he is, click the link, because you really should), and since I have shamefully never read any of his work, I spotted this and snatched it up. I've read it already, and it's just fantastic. Not only does it give a true to life portrayal of tenement life in New York City in the '20s and '30s (I'm just guessing, but I'm pretty sure I'm right) but Eisner lets the tenement function as the whole world, giving us a look at the human condition. Really really really great. Read it!

And I also got the DeLillo book, which I understand is about a day in the life of a limousine, or something. I'll report back.

New Lots is fairly close to Brownsville and East New York, but it mainly just seemed fairly desolate. It was probably at least partially due to the rain, and I suppose it is way out at the end of Brooklyn, but it was really quiet and empty out there. There were also some odd sights that I have documented in the pictures. More on that shortly.

The library itself is a nice, large two-story building, though I think the second story is only for official programs and things, because I couldn't see a way for the general public to get up there. I was there before 2, so it wasn't filled with kids yet, though I overheard a policeman saying that it soon would be. As with some of the other newer buildings (well, 1957) it seemed to have more space than it was using, though the selection was decent. It just didn't seem much better than some of the smaller libraries, which is too bad, because they have the space for it. The most bizarre thing about the place, though, is this tidbit from the Brooklyn Public Library website: "The library site is thought to be a Revolutionary-era burial ground, containing the remains of soldiers, slaves, and English officers." That's pretty sweet, though it may cause problems in the future if you ask me. And before anyone asks, no, I did not see any zombies. YET.

Now for a story in pictures...



Here it is from the back, with an eerie abandon'd playground.



The side, all cover'd in ivy.



Left side of the front...



Right side of the front.



This neat old church was across the street, with its own little cemetery and everything.



An abandoned boat on the way back to the subway. Its registrations stickers read '94 and '97. I like to think it got there in some kind of flood. Which doesn't really explain, just to the right of it...



This car. And let me tell you something else, it seemed like it had been there a long time. Maybe I should be glad that the area was relatively deserted?

Well I got short books this time and finished one already, so there's no excuse not to check this space and soon. In other words, do that.

3 comments:

DP said...

They don't need your business, or value it.

Anonymous said...

Nice story in pictures, although I still wonder about the one that could be written telling how they got there.
Mom

Natalie said...

Dude, did you just quote The Wire?

DON'T use the zed word! (*Finally* saw it...)