Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Red Hook #70, 1/22/07

OK, I'm back, reading Don't Let's Go To the Dogs Tonight took a little longer than I expected, but it was well worth it. I knew very little about Africa going in, but I felt that the author, Alexandra Fuller, did an excellent job of her (albeit limited) perspective on what it was like there in the 1970s and '80s. While her treatment of the race issue and colonialism was probably as limited as it could have been, the book wasn't really about that; it was merely about her own experiences, many of them tragic, with her family, with Africa (mostly Rhodesia, now Zimbabwe) being the setting. That said, it is a much more alive setting than most, and dictated the course of the story as often as not. This is one of those books that it is almost strange to finish, as reading it every day has become a part of your consciousness by the time you have finished.

Moving on to yesterday's trip, Red Hook is probably the closest neighborhood to mine that I had yet to explore in even the most cursory fashion. Since no trains go to it, it has a kind of unique isolation within Brooklyn, in that it is not far out from Manhattan, but not many people really go there. Plus, the Red Hook Branch had a DVD I wanted and I figured I'd pick up a book as well, so I put on my new gloves, called Amy up, and we biked on over there.

Branch: Red Hook
Location: 7 Wolcott St. at Dwight St.
Transport: bicycle
Item: Gimme Shelter (DVD)
Date: Monday, January 22, 2007

Aside from a little while being lost on Bay St., which meant being able to check out Red Hook Park, this place was easy enough to find. Of course, the one time I don't have my map (my friend Gabe had borrowed it without my knowledge!) is the time when I have someone following me, and am in a neighborhood I know nothing about. Well, we got there all right, and then Amy got shit on by a bird, but the real disappointment was the library. Red Hook seemed like a quiet, unique neighborhood with a lot to offer, but the library was probably the worst one I've been to yet.

It was small and somewhat dismal, but the real problem was lack of selection. They had the DVD I wanted, as well as some other interesting movies, but the book selection was just about the bare minimum they could have, with none of the unique additions that other libraries seem to have. Perhaps it's because there isn't much of an ethnic community in Red Hook (that I know of). The employees seemed miserable as well, not mean but just depressing. The woman checking me out was scanning the wrong barcode on one of the books I was returning, which of course is no big deal, but when she realized what she was doing, she gave me a weak smile and said, "I'm ready to go home." I got the feeling that she always was, no matter the time of day or day of the week. To be fair, it was a Monday.

So, I got to see more of Red Hook, got good exercise on a fairly nice day (for winter), and Amy and I had an excellent lunch at the Hope & Anchor. The experience was good, but the library was just meh. Bu, not getting a book means I'll be back and updating in no time!

Also, I've actually watched the movie (Gimme Shelter) already, and it is amazing. I don't know about Altamont being "the end of the '60s" and all that jive, but it really is a scary, intense movie to watch. The editing in particular really blew me away, and the way the intersperse the footage from the concerts, and the Stones watching that footage, is really brilliant. I'm sure everyone's seen it by now though, so whatever.

Also, I'll be on the west coast soon, so maybe I can fight some Hell's Angels! More on that later. Now for the pictures!



Amy, her spirits high despite the bird crap, poses with the bikes and my backpack.



Wide shot (also, with Amy).



And finally, I think this one really represents the feeling of being there.

I guess that's all for tonight, with any luck there'll be another post tonight or tomorrow. Don't forget to watch the State of the Union tonight! I know I probably will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was beginning to think you got a job. It has been almost two weeks!
Also, you can return books checked out at one branch to any other branch?? Wow! Just like Tommy K's!!

Mikey B said...

Yeah, any branch within Brooklyn, anyway. Also, I'm not sure who you are.

DP said...

Man, I'm weirdly excited to hear a bad review of a library, the thought never crossed my mind.