Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Arlington #21, 1/24/07

Well, despite the minimal response to the last post, I went to another library today, so here's another one. I guess there won't be too much meat to it. Maybe I need to ask Dave for some more missions.

This trip was fairly arbitrary, as the book was a random comic that a website I have since forgotten said was good, so I just went to the furthest library that had it. In this case that was the Arlington Branch, which I had some reservations about going to since I wasn't sure about the neighborhood and the information the website gives on the library is minimal. But, as I am happy to report, both the library and the neighborhood were very pleasant. The library building in particular was one of the nicest I've been to.

Branch: Arlington
Location: 203 Arlington Ave. at Warwick St.
Transport: F train to Delancey St., J train to Cleveland Ave.
Book: Shadowland by Kim Deitch
Date: Wednesday, January 24, 2007

This library was opened in 1906 due to a donation from Andrew Carnegie. It really seems like the older they are, the nicer they are; this building was just very enjoyable to be in. In contrast with the Red Hook Branch, the employees and patrons both seemed happy to be there. I looked for a while trying to find something other than just the one book, but lately I'm held back by all the books I have laying around at home, so I decided one was enough.

I did glance through a book on neighborhoods in Brooklyn, though, in an attempt to find out what neighborhood I was actually in at the time (Arlington is just the street the branch is on). The book told me I was in Cypress Hills, considered by some to be a part of East New York. It said the neighborhood looks much the same as it did in the 1930s, which makes perfect sense; the first thought I had upon getting off of the train was that at one time, the area must've been one of the best parts of Brooklyn, with all sorts of hustle and bustle, and lots of early 20th century stereotypes. It's still very nice, but it does have a bit of a decaying feel to it.

To say a bit more about the actual library, the selection didn't quite match up to the ambiance. There were about five science fiction books, but the children's section seemed fairly thorough (it was the whole mezzanine area) and there were a few good DVD choices, including some Criterions. There were a few rooms below the main level as well, including a decent sized classroom, the sight of which excited me for some reason. I guess maybe it's been too long...

As for the book I actually got, I don't know much about it, even to the point of thinking the author was female until I read the introduction (his name is Kim, honest mistake). So far I love the art, and it seems to be very disturbing and about freak shows, so I'm sure it will be excellent. On to the pics!



View from the approach.



The wide shot (wide as I could get, anyway).



And, the grand entrance.

This time, I was also compelled to show a couple of pictures from the neighborhood that would illustrate the feeling of it much better than I could.



This house just blew me away. I've always loved houses like this, and there are a bunch in New Haven. I also liked all the trees that are sort of blocking it.



This was the view from the (above ground) subway platform. With that hill to the north, it really felt like I was in a little valley or something. Apparently that's called Highland Park, I'll have to go back there in the spring or summer.

So thats it for today. But I'll be back soon. Don't worry! Seriously though, if anyone wants to tell people about this blog, go for it. I also like comments!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

the house in that picture, with all the trees, looks like all the houses from "the goonies." astoria, oregon is where it was filmed, and the whole hillside is covered in those houses and it just rains and rains and rains every single day, on all those turrets.

also, thats what i imagine jane eyre's house would have looked like.


anonymously yours,

zoe

Anonymous said...

I love old libraries, but sometimes they have wierd scents, did it have a smell?

sandy said...

Save a library to explore for when I get back so I can come with you.

Anonymous said...

fine
god

i should get a bike so i can go to brooklyn and go on one of these adventures with you sometime...i do love adventures. but since you don't always bike them, i should go to brooklyn and do it anyway. let's make it happen.

p.s. where can i practice biking? i should go to brooklyn and use yours.

DP said...

Yeah, I agree with the anonymous olfactory detective, whatsthedeal?

Mikey B said...

Haven't noticed any strong smells, though personally I like the way books smell, and I'd imagine the smell mostly comes from old books. Or it could just be the mustiness of old buildings, I guess. Maybe next time I'll bring my EKG meter.

Anonymous said...

i love how old books smell! they remind me of how my elementary school smelled.