Sunday, August 17, 2008

Dyker #82, 8/16/08

Been a long time. You didn't think I'd give up so close to my goal, though, did you? The last book I read (from a Brooklyn Library) was The End of America. I don't remember it too well now. As far as politics is concerned, The only thing really on my mind is the upcoming presidential election. How is Obama not crushing in the polls? What's the matter with people??? BAAAAAAAA Ok rant over. I just pray I'm not going to be one sad little boy on November 4th. I'd also feel better if I lived in a swing state...not that one vote makes a big difference. But, on to the library stuff. That's what we're all here for!

Branch: Dyker
Location: 8202 13th Ave. (@ 82nd St.)
Transport: bike!
Items: Skim by Mariko and Jillian Tamaki; No Country For Old Men by Cormac McCarthy
Date: Saturday, August 16, 2008

Wow, it's hard to even think of all things things that have happened since my last update. I went to a music festival in England, turned 25, got a new camera, finished some library school classes...uh...um...there was a Solstice...yeah, you know, lots of things happened. And now, it's nearly the end of summer. How'd that happen? I've actually been reading a ton (I recently got compeltely obsessed with the Love and Rockets comic book series, I recommend it to all humans) but it's all been stuff I get at work and read (of which there's still a large backlog) or comics. Finally, even though I'm in the middle of an excellent book, I took advantage of yesterday's perfect weather to bike to Kensington, collect my friend Amanda, and make her bike to a library with me. The Dyker Branch, to be exact!

It's a nice branch to come back to, as it reminds me what I love about the Brooklyn Public Library system. Sure, it has a somewhat cold exterior with barbed wire on the roof, and the inside is just a big open rectangle. But the neighborhood is gorgeous, the books are laid out very well, and the staff is friendly. The librarian who checked my books out even recommended a great pizza place in the area when I asked for a lunch place! Way to nail the reference question. Also, she reminded me of my $1.50 in fines from my last book, which I promptly paid. Hopefully posting that information here won't destroy my reputation.

One last bit of good news: the library has a new (to me) feature! Express reads are books that can only be taken out for a week at a time. No Country For Old Men is one such book. This of course means I have to finish my current read as well as No Country by next Saturday, which should be doable with no class to contend with. I like the policy because it gives people a chance to get more popular books that would otherwise all be checked out, such as an excellent western that have since been made into a best picture-winning film, but I also like it because it ups the odds that I'll be back here with another library under my belt in barely over a week! If I have any readers left, they should certainly be excited by the news. Oh yeah, also, Skim is some comic that looked somewhat interesting. High school angst and whatnot. Full report later. Now, on to the pics.



Full view.



Left side...



Right side.



Nice church across the street.



And lastly, Amanda "enjoying" a piece of pizza from Rosa's. No, actually, the pizza was really good. "Get the squares," as the librarian told us.

Well, that's a wrap for today. Hope you're excited that I'm back, I know I sure am. See you all soon!

1 comment:

Ms. Dutton said...

aw i just bought one of the love and rocket books. you should recomend me some good books please xx