Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Brower Park #79, 10/20/07

Last Saturday was a really bad day for me. I had something really hard to do, and it was something that will be with me forever. Also, it was something that required a lot of waiting, so I decided to take my mind off things a bit by going to a library first and getting some reading material. Winesburg, Ohio was excellent. according to Dean Koontz's afterword (yeah, I don't know either) the author was never able to replicate the success of it again, and there were a variety of reasons. I can think of one: it's almost perfect. I'm a sucker for early 20th century literature, but this was really above and beyond most novels (or related short story collections) that I had ever read before, in any setting. It was reminiscent of Ray Bradbury's Dandelion Wine and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a major inspiration for that title. I recommend Winesburg, Ohio highly.

I chose to go to the Brower Park Branch because it wasn't too far away, and had a book I was interested in from seeing it in my friend Annette's Barnes & Noble. That's right. She has one personally.

Branch: Brower Park
Location: 725 St. Marks Ave. at Nostrand Ave.
Transport: bicycle
Books: The O. Henry Prize Stories 2007 edited by Laura Furman; Soledad Brother: The Prison Letters of George Jackson
Date: Saturday, October 20, 2007

This library was in Crown Heights. My current roommate Dave used to live there, on Eastern Parkway. That was a nicer part than this. Even on a Saturday around noon, the area seemed sketchy, mostly because of the teenagers yelling at each other when I first got there. When I saw the name Brower Park I pictured a park right at the library. There is an actual Brower Park near there, but I didn't go to it. Maybe it would've helped my impression of the whole place, I dunno.

The library itself was small, but its main problem was selection. Beyond the empty shelf space I've seen at some libraries, this branch had multiple copies of many books, stacked on top of each other like they would be in a bookstore display. I understand wanting to have the books on display so the customers can see them, but I don't understand a library with obviously limited funding buying multiple copies of the same book instead of having the widest variety possible. If these were even the most popular books, then you'd think some copies would be checked out, but in most cases there were 3 of each such books, and there must have been ten to fifteen examples.

OK, rant over, what do I know about it blah blah blah. I had noticed Soledad Brother in my friend's store and remembered that I meant to read it years ago. Written by an African-American man imprisoned for a robbery he didn't commit, whose brother was shot and killed while trying to free him, the letters span the years 1964-1970. Haven't started it yet but I'm aure they'll be interesting. As for the other book, it's the O.Henry prizewinning story collection that I mentioned last time.

Something about this project makes me feeling like I'm working toward something. I'm not discovering another planet or writing a novel, but just the same it seems to give my life forward motion it might otherwise lack (school, work and interpersonal relationships notwithstanding). I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read it and comment on it, and I hope to keep you entertained, at least until the libraries run out. 40 down, 20 to go. Picture time.



There's really only one view of it.



I guess I could back up a little?



Maybe...the buildings across the street? I don't know.

That's it for this time. Keep caring about libraries and I probably will too.

9 comments:

kara said...

Wow, I can't believe you've already done 40 libraries and only have 20 to go. You're an efficient library user.

zoe viklund + scott hanson said...

winesburg, ohio is one of my favorite books of all time.

additionally, libraries in paris are extremely complicated to use. maybe it's just the language barrier.

Anonymous said...

The almost middle aged soccer mom questioned her own sanity, with loads of laundry to wash, dishes to do, writing to get to and a dog to bathe, why does she spend time reading a travel guide to libraries she will never visit? The least important of all the questions that she could ask comes to mind, why libraries?

the pleasure of the text said...

did you know: the title winesburg, ohio, was actually suggested to the author by a member of the Grolier Club, personal friend of Sherwood Anderson named Bob Huebsch. it's true. i just read this. all kinds of crazy rich friends-of-famous-people associated with this place where i work.

Mikey B said...

who is anonymous?

Anonymous said...

it would blow your mind if i told you and truth be told, I really should no longer be reading your library blogs although they are quite compelling despite their quirkiness. Ive sort of known about you for a long time but not you of me. this sounds so wierd that I really shouldnt press send but im feeling very much like living on the edge lately so...click

Mikey B said...

oh man, now you really have to tell me. i love my mind being blown.

Anonymous said...

About 6 months ago, I began writing a short story that quickly became too much for a short story but not enough for a novel. I remembered a book I had read years back called Winesburg, Ohio and thought I could link my emerging short stories together in that style. So, when I noticed that you recommended Winesburg recently, I felt compelled to comment on your blog instead of just periodically reading it.

Also, you are a minor character in my book but this is certainly not the forum to tell more about that.

One theme in my story is that past occurences, even those that have taken place before you existed, are still shaping the present. Obvious comment? Maybe- but there are so many connections that people have with each other but do not know about. The very fact that I am commenting on your blog right now is proof of this.

Something I have learned this year is that life is more than what we know at any given time. Most times, we dont get to know the purpose/the why behind life. Once in a while, we are granted small insight. It is sort of like sprinkling flour on an unseen spider web and having the web appear. Not the whole web but just a small part.

Your really bad/ life long decision/ waiting..Saturday comment on 10/20 sounded mysterious to me and I felt compelled to write. I want the characters in my story to be happy. There is already enough tragedy and intrigue to the story.

So, duzy@yahoo.com is the email to reply to if you want a better explanation of all of this.

Beth

Anonymous said...

uh whoa, best comment thread ever written. Now I forgot what I was going to say...
oh yeah, motivation, websites blah blah
Dude you have a mystery person. Lucky.